Poet's Ramble

Poetry can be as simple as a four-line revelation hastily scrawled on the back of your phone bill. Poets ask for trouble if they have anything important to say, and the best ones slog through plenty of it. Poems are the instant coffee in your spoon that you chew on without adding water. I am a poet, and this is my story.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

new poem - And So . . .

I posted the following poem June 6, 2006 at this blog and two days later it disappeared. I don't know how it happened, but I know I did not have a hand in it. I wonder who did and why, and if the perpetrator of the deletion will contact me -- writer@eosinc.com -- and explain, I will be happy to share the information in a future blog entry.
. . . . I wish my earlier posting had not been deleted because I am a patriot, a past election judge representing the Republican Party, and I've voted in almost every election since I was in college. Even so, I am glad the deleting entity provided me the inspiration to pay more attention to it in revising the early version into the current incarnation which makes my point better than before. I hope you agree.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . And So . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .by Job Conger
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . written 7:55 pm, Monday, June 5, 2006

. . . You didn't listen when I suggested
. . . Dubya is no more than Dan Quayle
. . . with a Moses mission and no conscience.
. . . Your ears were deaf to my urging
. . . to nip his virulent "Creeping Charlie" weedness,
. . . transforming our cherished panoply of freedoms
. . . into a pedagogic garden of worse.
. . . You believed his lies while you doubted
. . . the deeds of proven patriots,
. . . and I sang of the sad fate
. . . your glib contentment would bring.
. . . Can you hear me now?
. . . Can you hear me now?

. . . You scurried from fear more earnestly
. . . than you sought the truth,
. . . not caring to comprehend how theocrats
. . . humping autocrats
. . . breed only dark despair.
. . . You called him holy for the oaths
. . . he chanted like an anointed Pharisee
. . . cloaked in the solemn vestments of a president,
. . . and for his certitude of stance,
. . . untainted by facts and other voices.
. . . I told you he was a bad penny
. . . who would out-bid morality
. . . and bankrupt the dreams of our forefathers.
. . . Can you hear me now?
. . . Can you hear me now?

1 Comments:

Blogger ThirtyWhat said...

Amazing, Job ... very, very well spoken, or rather, written. If it's alright, I'm going to link to this as soon as I get home.

For what it's worth, I had a post disappear off my blog last year. It wasn't anything political or controvercial ... but the whole thing, graphics and all, was wiped clean.

If you figure out this mystery, let me know ... I want my missing post back too.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home